I believe that dill is the best (by far the best) green herb on earth. I add dill to almost anything I eat & mixing it with lemon brings out its flavor more & more. The mixture of lemon & dill never seems to fail me; always my winner combo.
Stir fried Chicken gets coated in a delicious creamy sauce that has a perfect balance of acidic & earthy. This recipe gets you the best of both worlds; very creamy yet much lighter than the full fat version! Only 1/4 cup cream for the whole dish.
A tasty & light dish that comes together in less than 30 minutes!
CHICKEN WITH LEMON DILL SAUCE
750 gm chicken breast fillet thinly sliced
2 cups chicken stock مرقة دجاج
1/2 cup skimmed or half skimmed milk
1/4 cup cream
zest of 2 lemons بشر ليمون
juice of 1 1/2 – 2 lemons
1 heaped tsp cornflour dissolved in 3 tbsp water نشا مذاب فى ماء
2 tbsp minced dill شبت مفروم
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
- Season chicken with salt & pepper.
- Heat a large pan over high heat until HOT. Add the olive oil & cook chicken on both sides until golden & cooked through. Do that in 2-3 batches to avoid crowding the pan. Remove chicken & set aside.
- Still on high heat, add the stock to the pan, scrapping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the stuck pieces. Boil the stock until reduced to about 1 1/4 cups.
- Lower heat to medium low, add milk, cream, lemon zest & lemon juice (see notes). Bring to a boil then whisk the cornflour mixture right into the sauce to thicken it.
- Return chicken to the pan, toss with the sauce & turn off heat.
- Stir the dill & parmesan cheese into the sauce. Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately over pasta, rice or mashed potato.
- The chicken can be cut into strips, slices or cubes.
- Add the juice of 1 1/2 lemons then taste; if you want the sauce more acidic, add the juice of the remaining half lemon.
- I have noticed that cornflour brands vary a lot so if the sauce doesn’t thicken immediately after adding the cornflour, you might need to add another 1/2 tsp cornflour dissolved in 2-3 tbsp water.
- Add the dill right before serving so that its color stays bright green.