I have my freezer stacked with all kinds of meatballs! They are “life savior”; when you are busy or lazy to cook, you just get them out of the freezer, cook & lunch is served in no time! Once a month, I buy about 3-4 kilos of minced meat, mix each kilo with spices & herbs, shape into balls & freeze!
I shared with you before my healthy oven baked burghul meatballs but this time we are going the opposite side with a fried meatballs recipe! I have a weakness to anything fried … Not that I eat it every day but once a week, we have to enjoy a crispy fried dish.
In this recipe, I am using lean meat & substituting the fat with mustard & butter; which makes the meatballs very moist & gives them a richer amazing taste.
As much as I love fried food, you know I am not into the “2-3 layers of coating” process (too much mess, time & dishes) so you will simply mix the meat ingredients, shape the balls & coat with breadcrumbs! As Ina Garten says, “How easy is that?”.
- 1 kg lean minced meat لحم مفروم صافى
- 1 medium onion very finely minced بصلة مبشورة ناعم
- 3/4 bunch parsley very finely minced ٣/٤ حزمة بقدونس مفرومة ناعم
- 1 1/2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp allspice بهارات مشكلة
- 1 tbsp soft butter
- 2 eggs
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 breadcrumbs بقسماط ناعم
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal دقيق ذرة أصفر
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan (optional)
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, mix the minced meat with all the ingredients.
- Shape the mixture into balls & refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Mix the breading ingredients & coat the meatballs with the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Fry the meatballs in hot oil over medium heat until they become golden brown.
- If you aren’t using lean meat, omit the butter.
- Don’t coat the meatballs with the breadcrumbs then refrigerate as the coating will be absorbed in the meatballs & you won’t have a crispy exterior.
- The breaded meatballs can be placed in the freezer for up to a month.
- Fry the frozen meatballs directly (without de-frosting) in hot oil over medium low heat to make sure they are cooked all through.