I believe everybody should have a fool proof roast chicken recipe in their recipe book. It’s my go to option whenever I am lazy or busy & it never seems to disappoint me!
Crispy skin, juicy meat, tons of flavors on a bed of caramelized veggies! Who wouldn’t want this for lunch/dinner? Besides, the leftovers make amazing salads, sandwiches & quesadillas.
This is one of my favorite & easiest roast recipes; it requires no cutting, dicing or chopping! Made entirely with dried herbs; it comes together very quickly yet it has an amazing earthy oriental flavor!
The below is a roast technique that you can apply on any recipe you have! Just mix a fat (whether oil or butter) with your favorite spices & herbs, rub your chicken & roast!
This chicken is best served with oriental herb rice; recipe in the “Notes” below the recipe.
ROAST CHICKEN & VEGGIES
1 (1100 gm) whole chicken
2 1/2 tbsp butter at room temperature زبدة طرية
2 tsp allspice بهارات مشكلة
3/4 tsp paprika بابريكا
3/4 tsp garlic powder ثوم بودرة
1/2 tsp cinnamon قرفة
1/2 tsp ginger جنزبيل
Juice of 1 large lemon
Salt & pepper
For the vegetables:
2 large carrots cut into chunks
1 large onion cut into chunks
- 1 large peeled potato cut into chunks
Juice of 2 lemons
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder ثوم بودرة
- 3/4 tsp paprika بابريكا
2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Dry the chicken well with paper towel. Mix the butter with all the spices, lemon juice, salt & pepper.
- Rub the chicken inside out & under the skin with the butter mixture. Stuff the chicken with the squeezed lemon & tie the legs together.
- Toss the vegetables with the lemon juice, olive oil, spices, salt & pepper.
- Arrange the vegetables on a baking tray & lay the chicken in the center on top of the vegetables (breast side up). Sprinkle the chicken with more salt (for a crispier skin).
- Roast the chicken for about 1 hour until nicely browned & the juices run clear when cut between the leg & the thigh.
- Cover the chicken with foil & let rest for 15 minutes. Serve with caramelized vegetables.
- The brand of allspice I use is Al Doha.
- Roasting time will increase if you are roasting a bigger chicken.
- You can replace the butter with olive oil if you want.
- You can roast the chicken without the vegetables.
- You can roast any vegetables you want but make sure they are all cut the same size & can handle the heat for about 1 hour without becoming burnt or mushy.
- Oriental Rice: In a large pot, cook 1 small shredded onion in oil or butter until soft. Add 2 cups washed rice + 1 1/2 tsp allspice + 1/4 tsp cinnamon + 1/8 tsp pepper + 2 tsp salt. Stir well. Cook like normal rice & serve with toasted nuts & raisins.