As I told you before, I am not a professional baker but serving my family a homemade cake every week is a must so I am always playing around in the kitchen :)
I was never a fan of frosted cakes (except for carrot cake of course), I always prefer old fashioned cakes that you enjoy with a cup of coffee without feeling so guilty & heavy! I have been trying to develop a honey cake recipe for almost 2 years but they always came out a total disaster.
Lucky me, I was able to come up with a cake recipe sweetened mostly with honey & it has olive oil, yoghurt & vegetables .. woohooo it turned out healthier & tastier than what I was aiming for! Don’t give me this look … No one will ever know it has olive oil!!
It is healthier than most cakes, so easy & doesn’t require any equipment to prepare!
OLIVE OIL, YOGHURT & ZUCCHINI CAKE
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup yoghurt (1 small pack)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup raw honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups + 1 tbsp flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda كربونات الصودا
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups shredded zucchini كوسة مبشورة
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or raisins or dried cherry or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Grease (with oil or butter) & flour a 23 cm round or square cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the wet ingredients; oil, yoghurt, eggs, vanilla, honey & sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon & salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; mixing until just combined. Don’t over mix or the cake will be tough.
- Fold the shredded zucchini into the cake batter.
- Toss the raisins or chocolate chips or cherry or walnuts with 1 tbsp flour & fold into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased cake pan & bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan then flip onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store at room temperature for 1 day or up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Shred the zucchini before preparing the cake so that it dries out a bit.
- The cake is not too sweet; you can drizzle it with honey if you want it sweeter.
- Don’t skip adding the semi sweet chocolate/raisins/dried cherry/walnuts because zucchini doesn’t have a strong taste on its own.