If you have been following my blog recently, you would notice a slight shift in my cooking approach. It’s not that I am going healthy as you will never find words like “gluten free” & “vegan” on my blog but I am trying to find lighter versions of the food I love!
This doesn’t mean that you won’t find chocolate-y & creamy recipes here but I started to believe that a “balance” is always required to maintain a healthy diet & a decent jeans size :)
I grew up eating french fries almost daily – I still remember those BIG bowls of fries smothered in mayonnaise & ketchup! My total point of weakness until this day, actually until this moment as I type!
I had to find an alternative because I knew I would never turn my back to this memory & here came this baked potato wedges recipe; crispy on the outside & creamy inside.
Pure indulgence without all the calories of deep frying!
They totally satisfy my cravings of fried potatoes & this coming from a potato lover like me means that there is no compromise on taste.
Drizzle them with light ranch dressing & some green onions & you will be in potato heaven!
BAKED POTATO WEDGES WITH LIGHT RANCH DRESSING
- 2 large unpeeled potatoes washed & dried well
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder not very full
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 small sprigs green onion diced (white & green parts)
- 1 small pack light yoghurt plain
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp buttermilk (rayeb milk in Arabic)
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 5-6 drops lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise then cut each half in quarters; to have a total of 8 wedges from each potato (see notes).
- Place the wedges on a non stick baking tray with the olive oil, garlic powder, paprika & salt/pepper.
- With your hands, toss all the ingredients together making sure that all the wedges are coated with olive oil.
- Arrange the wedges in a single layer on the baking tray; one cut side down NOT skin side (Don’t crowd the pan).
- When the oven is HOT, bake the wedges for 20 -25 minutes or until lightly browned & crispy (from the bottom side) then turn them to the other side & continue baking for about 10-15 minutes until they are lightly browned & crispy from the other side as well.
- Meanwhile prepare the light ranch dressing; in a bowl, whisk all the dressing ingredients until blended.
- Serve the wedges immediately drizzled with light ranch dressing & sprinkled with green onions.
- Cut the potatoes into thick wedges (not thin ones) so that they don’t burn & dry out in the oven. If the potatoes aren’t large enough, cut each potato half into 3 & not 4 wedges to have a total of 6 wedges from each potato.
- DON’T crowd the wedges on the baking tray & make sure the oven is HOT before baking so that the potatoes roast & not steam.
- The light ranch dressing can be stored in the fridge up to 5 days.
- The recipes for the baked wedges & light ranch dressing can be doubled.