Nuggets is one of those dishes that’s both kid & adult friendly. With all the big fuss about the horrific ingredients of store-bought nuggets, there is nothing safer than preparing your own recipe at home!
Guaranteed 100% chicken nuggets; no additives or chemicals!
The best thing about this recipe is that its texture is the same as store bought nuggets & not chicken balls (like many recipes I have tried).
Prepare a big batch, freeze it & all you have to do is fry it for a couple of minutes to have your kids favorite snack ready!
HOMEMADE CHICKEN NUGGETS
For the Chicken:
500 gm chicken breast fillet cut into pieces
1/8 tsp corn flour or corn starch (نشا)
1/2 tsp baking soda (بيكربونات الصودا)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cardamom (حبهان)
Salt & Pepper
For the Coating:
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (بقسماط)
3/4 cup crushed corn flakes (I use Rice Krispies)
1/2 tsp baking powder
Oil for deep frying
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the chicken, baking soda, corn flour & all the spices. Process until the mixture comes together & forms a dough like ball.
- Be careful as the mixture will be too sticky. Dust a big tray generously with flour. Place the mixture on the tray & place a plastic bag on top of the mixture. Using a rolling pin or your hands, spread the dough into a thin layer (about 0.5 cm).
- Remove the plastic bag, dust the top well with flour & press on it with your hands to stick to the mixture. Place the tray in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat the egg with a pinch of pepper. In another ball, mix the breadcrumbs, baking powder & crushed corn flakes together.
- Get the tray out of the freezer; the mixture should be firm but not fully frozen to be able to cut it. Using a knife or cookie cutters, cut the nuggets into squares/shapes. If at any time, the nuggets starts sticking to the knife/cutters, just dust the knife/cutters with little flour.
- Dip the nuggets in the egg mixture then in the breadcrumbs mixture, pressing with your hands for the coating to stick on the nuggets.
- Arrange the nuggets on a clean tray (apart from each other) & freeze. Once they are frozen, store them in zip lock bags in the freezer. (This step is mandatory so that the nuggets won’t stick together in the zip lock bags).
- To deep fry, heat oil until hot & fry the frozen nuggets on medium heat until they become golden brown.
- Measure the corn flour & baking soda accurately as too much corn flour will make the nuggets dry & too much baking soda will make them mushy.
- You can add any spices you want to the chicken & coating.
- The recipe can be doubled.