I think by now you can tell I am a BIG fan of roasted peppers; I always have a jar of roasted pepper at hand as I add them to dips, sandwiches, salads, pasta & now chicken!
This dish is very flavorful, easy to prepare & only requires ONE pot. If you have your peppers roasted in advance, this recipe won’t take more than 30 minutes to prepare.
The sauce itself is amazing over rice or pasta; it is just so creamy & can be made with half skimmed milk if you are watching your weight like me or actually like all of us.
Check the notes section below the recipe to know how you can roast the peppers & store them in the fridge.
CHICKEN WITH ROASTED PEPPER SAUCE
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 750 gm chicken breast fillet cut into cubes
- 3 large red peppers roasted (see notes)
- 1 tbsp oregano, thyme or Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup half skimmed milk
- salt & pepper
- In a food processor, process the roasted peppers, garlic, vinegar & oregano/thyme/Italian seasoning until they become smooth. Set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper.
- Heat a large pan over high heat until hot. Add the olive oil & cook the chicken cubes until they take a nice golden color. DON’T OVERCROWD the pan; you can do this over 2 batches because you want the chicken to get a nice color & not steam.
- Add the roasted pepper sauce & cream/milk to the pan. Stir the sauce well with the chicken & lower heat to maintain a simmer for a couple of minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Turn off heat, add the cheese & season with salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately with white rice or pasta.
- To roast the peppers: Preheat oven to 200 C. Place the red peppers on a non stick baking tray & bake in the oven for about 1 hour. Peppers are done when they are totally soft, broken down & charred with black spots all over. Place the roasted peppers in a glass bowl & cover with plastic wrap; leave the peppers to sweat & cool to be able to handle. Peel the peppers (the skin will come out easily), remove the seeds & roughly chop them. The peppers can be roasted & peeled up to a week in advance; just drizzle with olive oil & store in an airtight container in the fridge.