Actually, I believe it’s an adults’ & kids’ favorite anytime of the year but the process of dipping the meat in flour, egg & breadcrumbs always turned me off! It’s time consuming, messy & boring! The below recipe is as easy as marinating the meat then coating it with breadcrumbs! Easy & fast with no mess!
The taste is AMAZING & the coating sticks perfectly to the meat! I don’t like adding spices to my escalope (unlike chicken) because I like to enjoy the taste of the meat but feel free to add any dried spices to the marinade or coating.
EASY NO MESS ESCALOPE PANEE
For the marinade:
- 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 kg escalope thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large onion sliced into wedges
- 2 tbsp mustard
- salt & pepper
For the breading:
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs بقسماط
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal دقيق درة أصفر
- oil for shallow frying
- Whisk the eggs with the flour & mustard until the flour is totally dissolved & they form a batter thick enough to coat the meat. Toss the escalope & the onions with the batter until they are well coated. Season with salt & pepper. Cover & refrigerate for a couple of hours up to overnight.
- When you take the escalope out of the fridge, toss everything together again. Mix the breadcrumbs with the yellow cornmeal. Coat the escalope with the breadcrumb mixture; pressing well with your hands to make sure it sticks to the meat.
- Shallow fry in hot oil over medium low heat until golden brown.
- To freeze (raw): stack the escalope slices on top of each other; separating between them with a plastic bag so they don’t stick together. To cook: DON’T DEFROST! Shallow fry the FROZEN escalope in room temperature oil over high heat. Once bubbles start to form around the escalope, lower heat to low & fry on both sides until deep golden.
- Veal escalope is not available in Egypt nowadays so ask your butcher to give you سكالوب كندوز صغير.
- The recipe can be halved or doubled.
- You can add any spices you want to the marinade or breadcrumbs.
- Local brands of yellow cornmeal دقيق الدرة الأصفر are found in all large supermarkets.