Although I am a huge fan of Asian food & I cook Chinese (specifically) not less than twice a week, I just realized that I have only one Asian recipe on my blog. How come, I don’t know! I am sorry guys, more Chinese food I promise!
If you love Beef Teriyaki, go check the recipe I posted a year ago & you will love me forever. As for now, let me tell you about this oyster sauce! It is SPOT ON; sweet & tangy yet not one of them is over powering! It sounds like a complicated sauce yet it is way too easy that you won’t believe you prepared the dish in no time.
Stir frying is a very easy yet tricky cooking technique so you have to be aware of 3 very important things:
- You need a hot pan … a really hot pan!
- The beef cut you are using makes a huge difference in the outcome; I am using beef tenderloin & not those store-bought strips.
- You have to prepare all the ingredients next to you before cooking because if the beef is overcooked you will end up with rubbery slices.
BEEF STIR FRY WITH OYSTER SAUCE
- 750 gm lean tenderloin beef, thinly sliced
- salt & pepper
For the sauce:
- 5 tbsp oyster sauce*
- 3 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
For the stir fry:
- olive oil
- 1/2 red pepper sliced into 1.5 cm strips
- 1/2 yellow pepper sliced into 1.5 cm strips
- 1/2 onion sliced into 1.5 cm strips
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated*
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- Season the beef with salt & pepper.
- Whisk the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl & set aside.
- Cook the beef: Heat a large pan over high heat until hot. Add 1 tbsp oil then add the beef slices. Cook for 30 seconds on each side until the edges start to caramelize. DON’T OVERCROWD the pan; you can do this over 2-3 batches because you want the beef to get a nice color & not steam. Remove the beef onto a plate & set aside.
- Cook the Veggies: With your heat still on high, add another tbsp oil to the pan then add all the veggies. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the sauce to the pan, toss with the veggies. Return the beef slices to the pan & toss everything together.
- Turn off the heat, sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Serve with white or fried rice.
- Oyster sauce is available in the Asian Aisle of Seoudi, Alfa, Sunny Supermarkets & Hypermarkets. Use any brand.
- If you don’t have fresh ginger, season the meat with 1/2 tsp ginger powder along with the salt & pepper.
- Remember! This dish cooks over high heat & takes literally minutes to come together so have all the veggies sliced beforehand. Don’t worry your beef will not be undercooked!