One of my favorite cuisines ever is the Chinese cuisine. Quick, easy & delicious dishes prepared in less than 30 minutes using a couple of sauces.
I love playing around with Chinese sauces to come up with new recipes but Teriyaki sauce will always be the closest to my heart.
This recipe for homemade teriyaki sauce is just DELICIOUS; takes about 5 minutes to prepare, stores well in the fridge & goes with just anything that can come to your mind; salmon, shrimps, chicken, beef, veggies … you name it.
Be creative with the veggies in this dish; use any kind you love because nothing tastes bad with this sauce.
CHICKEN STIR FRY WITH TERIYAKI SAUCE
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 4 tbsp water
For the Stir Fry:
- 3 tbsp oil
- 750 gm chicken breast fillet thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper thinly sliced
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup green onion thinly sliced (the green part only)
- Prepare the Sauce: In a small bowl, stir the cornflour in 4 tbsp water until it’s totally dissolved without any lumps. Set aside.
- In a small pot, stir the soy sauce, water, rice vinegar & sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Place the mixture over medium heat & bring to a boil. Once the mixture boils, slowly add the cornflour/water; whisking constantly until the mixture boils & thickens slightly. Turn off heat. Note that the sauce won’t be too thick; it just won’t be watery. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the Stir Fry: Season the chicken slices with salt & pepper. Don’t use too much salt as the teriyaki already has soy sauce. Heat a wok or large pan over high heat until hot. Add 2 tbsp oil & cook the chicken slices for about 1-2 minutes on each side (depending on the chicken thickness) until they take a light golden color & are cooked through. DON’T CROWD the pan/wok; you can do this over 2-3 batches; you want the chicken to take a nice color & not release its water & start boiling. Remove the chicken & set aside.
- Add the remaining oil & stir fry the onion & green pepper slices for a couple of minutes. Add the ginger & garlic; continue cooking until the veggies start to soften a bit (don’t let the veggies lose their crunch).
- Return the chicken to the pan/wok & toss with the veggies. Turn off heat.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 amount of the teriyaki sauce to the pan/wok & toss with the chicken & veggies until nicely coated. You know the consistency of the sauce is right if it nicely coats the chicken & veggies.
- Sprinkle with green onions & sesame seeds. Serve immediately with white or fried rice.
- Rice vinegar is available in the Chinese/Asian aisle in all large supermarkets.
- You can use chicken thigh instead of chicken breast.
- You can replace the onion & green pepper with any veggie mixture you prefer.
- The remaining amount of teriyaki sauce can be stored in the fridge for later use. It can be used with salmon, shrimps or beef.
- For the step by step video, check my instagram account.
One thought on “CHICKEN STIR FRY WITH TERIYAKI SAUCE”
Looks delicious :)