It’s officially SUMMER! The season of outdoor grilling, BBQ gatherings & loads of good food & memories has just started.
I am planning to share with you many recipes & ideas for grilling to help make your summer as delicious as it gets!
I am starting the grilling season this year with shish tawook! For me the best shish tawook is flavorful & delicious without one spice or ingredient overpowering the taste of chicken.
In this recipe, I am cooking the shish tawook in the oven as an alternative to outdoor grilling just to make sure you can still enjoy this meal even if you don’t have a grill or too lazy to set it up!
The star of this recipe is the tzatziki sauce; preparing it with homemade greek yoghurt takes this dip to a whole new level.
Bonus: you get to know how to make greek yoghurt at home woohooo.
SHISH TAWOOK & TZATZIKI DIP
- 1 kg chicken breast boneless صدور مخلية
- 1 1/2 packs plain yoghurt
- 1 tbsp tomato paste صلصة طماطم
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp worcesterchire sauce
- juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 5 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chicken spices بهارات فراخ
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Veggies for the Skewers:
- 2 red peppers cut into chunks
- 2 green peppers cut into chunks
- 2 yellow peppers cut into chunks
- 2 large onion cut into chunks
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
2 packs plain yoghurt
1/2 large cucumber peeeled & shredded خيار مقشر ومبشور
1 garlic clove minced
1 tbsp dill chopped شبت
tiny squeeze of lemon
salt to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
- wooden skewers
- 1 piece of coal فحم
- 1 tbsp oil
- aluminium foil
- Cut the chicken into medium size cubes. Place the chicken cubes in a large bowl & toss with all the marinade ingredients except the olive oil. Cover & refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200 C for 30 minutes (check notes for other cooking methods).
- Thread the chicken & veggies into the skewers; pressing them up against each other. I usually put 6 pieces of chicken per skewer (this can change depending on the size of your skewer) & I put the veggies between every 2 pieces of chicken.
- Line a pyrex with foil & place the skewers on the upper edges of the pyrex; they should be hanging on top of the pyrex & not touching the foil to allow the heat to circulate around the chicken. Brush the chicken with olive oil.
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes. Get the skewers out of the oven & flip them on the other side; drizzle the chicken with the pan juices (that will be on the foil) & brush with olive oil. Place in the oven again for about 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. You can turn on the broil شواية in the last couple of minutes to get a nice char on the chicken.
- Meanwhile, place a piece of coal directly on the stove flame until it is red hot. Put the hot coal on a piece of foil then place it under the chicken skewers in the pyrex. Pour 1 tbsp oil on the coal & cover the skewers (tightly) immediately. Keep covered for about 15 minutes.
- To prepare the taztziki sauce: Line a tight sieve مصفاة ضيقة with 2 layers of kitchen paper towel مناديل مطبخ. Place the sieve over a bowl. Pour the yoghurt into the lined sieve & fold the hanging paper towel over the yoghurt. Place in the fridge for 6-8 hours up to overnight to drain all the water. The yoghurt is ready when it is thick & creamy & all its water is collected in the bowl. Squeeze the shredded cucumber with your hands to get rid of its water. In a bowl, mix the yoghurt with the shredded cucumber, dill, garlic, lemon & salt. Drizzle with olive oil. Serve the chicken skewers immediately with the tzatziki sauce.
- You can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast.
- You HAVE to soak the skewers in water for about 30 minutes before using to prevent them from getting burnt.
- Instead of the oven, you can grill the tawook on a charcoal or a stove top grill; make sure you brush the chicken with oil so that it doesn’t stick to the grill.
- The brand of chicken spices I use is Bab El Sham (found in large supermarkets) but you can use any brand you prefer.
- Preparing the tzatziki with greek yoghurt makes it creamier & thicker but you can use regular yoghurt if you don’t mind the dip being loose in consistency.
- You HAVE to use kitchen paper towel مناديل مطبخ & not any kind of paper tissue in preparing the tzatziki dip.
- For the step by step video, check my instagram account.