Today we are making one of the most elegant & classical dishes of all time. Sharkaseya. Rice served with chicken & a creamy walnut sauce.
Although a lot might think that sharkaseya is a difficult & sophisticated recipe yet the truth is the total opposite.
It’s not complicated; it just has many ingredients & steps but when you know the right measurements & technique, it will be very easy to prepare.
An elegant classical dish worth every minute you spend in the kitchen.
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- chopped walnuts for garnish
For the Chicken Stock:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 whole chicken 1200 gm
- 2 cardamom pods حبهان
- 2 mastic مستكة
- 2 bay leaves ورق لورا
- 1 cinnamon stick قرفة
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns فلفل حب
- 1 large onion whole
- 3 garlic cloves whole
- 1 large carrot roughly chopped
For the Sauce:
- 150 gm walnuts عين جمل
- 4 Rich Bake white toasts
- 3-4 cups chicken stock مرقة
- 1 tbsp ghee سمنك
- 1 small onion diced
- pinch paprika
- pinch cinnamon
- salt & pepper
For the Tasha:
- 1/2 tbsp ghee سمنة
- 1 tsp dried corriander كسبرة
For Serving the Chicken:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt & pepper
- To make the chicken stock: Melt the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken & sear on all sides until light golden. Add the whole spices & toss with the chicken & butter. Add all the veggies. Cover with room temperature water & bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer over low heat (with the pot 3/4 covered) for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Take out the chicken & set aside. Sieve the stock & disregard the veggies & spices.
- To make the sauce: Place the walnuts in a large pan over medium high heat. Stir frequently until the edges start to take a darker color. Don’t brown the walnuts; just let some pieces of the edges take a slightly toasted color. Place the walnuts in a plate to cool.
- In a food processor, process the walnuts until very finely chopped. You should have 1 1/3 cup minced walnuts عين جمل مفروم ناعم. Put the walnuts in a plate until you prepare the toast.
- Remove the upper dark part of the toast & process in the food processor until very finely chopped. You should have 1 1/3 cup minced toast توست ابيض مفروم ناعم.
- Put the minced walnuts & toast in a blender, add 2 cups stock & blend until you have a smooth mixture.
- Melt the ghee in a large pan over medium high heat, add the onion & saute until it’s soft but not browned. Stir in the walnut/toast mixture. Reduce heat to low, simmer the sauce for a couple of minutes until it thickens to the desired consistency. Note that the sharkaseya sauce is supposed to be a little thick & not too runny. Season with paprika, cinnamon, salt & pepper. Keep the sauce over very low heat until you prepare the tasha.
- If, at anytime, the sauce becomes too thick, stir in little stock to make it loose again. If the sauce becomes too runny, let it simmer over low heat, until it thickens again.
- Put the ghee & corriander in a small pan over medium heat & stir until the corriander is fragrant & the mixture is boiling; about 30 seconds. Don’t let the color of the corriander become dark. Pour the tasha over the sauce & stir to mix. Turn off heat on the sauce.
- Sieve صفوا the sauce in order to get rid of the onion pieces & return to the pan.
- If you arent going to serve the sauce immediately, the sauce will thicken as it cools so in order to reheat, simply add little stock to bring it back to its original consistency.
- To prepare the chicken: In order to make the sharkaseya easier to eat, remove all the chicken meat from the bone. Disregard the bones. Melt 2 tbsp & 1 tbsp oil in a large pan over medium heat. Stir the chicken with the oil & butter; just to take the flavor without getting any color in order not to be dry. Turn off heat. Season the chicken with paprika, salt & pepper.
- To assemble: Put the rice in a plate, arrange the chicken pieces around it & sprinkle some chopped walnuts on top. Drizzle some sauce over the rice & serve the rest in a bowl. Serve immediately.
- You can prepare the stock with 4 bone in chicken breats instead of 1 whole chicken.
- For the step by step video, check my instagram account.