I dont believe my Iftar table in Ramadan is complete without a bowl of salad. I am not talking any salad; it has to be creative, delicious & tempting enough to make me stop eating fried atayef & french fries.
This Taco salad is simply delicious; full of different textures & flavors.
Besides, when you have your greens washed, sterilized, chopped & packed for you, why wouldnt you make salad everyday? All you have to do is empty your greens bag in a bowl, top with whatever comes to your mind & prepare a dressing. Voila, your salad is ready!
How can you get your own bag of clean greans? Read my NOTES section.
TACO SALAD WITH RANCH DRESSING
- 1 bag Readies Oriental Greens (see notes)
- 4 large tomatoes diced
- 1 can sweet corn drained
- 1 can red beans drained
- 1 1/2 cups white & red cheddar cheese grated
For the Candied Walnuts:
- 2/3 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
For the Fried Tortilla:
- 2 large tortilla bread cut into strips
- Oil for frying
For the Ranch Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yoghurt
- 1/3 cup rayeb milk
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 small green onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves chopped
- salt & pepper
- Make the dressing: Mix all the dressing ingredients together. If the dressing still needs to be thinner, add extra 2-3 tbsp rayeb milk. Place in the fridge until you prepare the salad. It’s prefered to prepare the dressing ahead of time as its taste becomes way better, the longer it stays in the fridge.
- Make the candied walnuts: Prepare a a sillicon mat or parchment paper brushed with little oil. Set aside. Put the walnuts in a small pan (use a light colored pan). The walnuts should be spread in the pan & not piled up. Sprinkle the sugar over the walnuts & place the pan over medium heat. Stir constantly (so that the walnuts dont get burnt) until the sugar starts to melt. Once the sugar starts melting, reduce heat to low. Keep stirring until the sugar melts COMPLETELY & coats all the walnuts. This takes about 3-5 minutes. Pour the candied walnuts on the parchment paper & quickly separate them with a fork so that they dont stick together. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the tortilla: Deep fry the tortilla strips in hot oil until golden. Place on tissue paper to absorb the excess oil. Set aside to cool.
- Assemble: In a large bowl, arrange Readies bag contents (iceberg lettuce, arugula leaves & parsley) at the bottom. Top with the corn, tomatoes, beans & cheese. Sprinkle the candied walnuts & tortilla strips on top & drizzle with the dressing right before serving.
- Readies is a new brand in the market. They sell pre washed, sterlized & chopped greens.
- They are selling 3 packs so far: Classic, Oriental & Sweet. In this recipe, I am using the Oriental Pack, which contains iceberg letttuce, arugula leaves & parsley.
- You can find their products at Alfa market: Zamalek/Sheikh Zayed, Grumart: Heliopolis, Sunny: Zamalek & Oscar Grand Stores: New Cairo.
- For a step by step video including how to make those tortilla bowls, check my instagram account.