A creamy spinach dish is always the perfect addition to any table. This spinach gratin dish is a crowd pleaser; whenever I serve it, it’s always the first thing to be devoured.
The dish looks so elegant & sophisticated yet it takes less than 10 minutes to come together.
Trust me on this; although I am always a fan of cooking with fresh spinach but frozen spinach in this recipe tastes better & gives the perfect texture.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion grated بصل مبشور
- 2 heaped tbsp flour معالق كبيرة مليانة
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 x 400 gm pack frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1 cup cream كريمة سايلة
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg جوزة الطيب
- salt & pepper
For the Topping:
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs بقسماط
- 3 tbsp parmesan grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Squeeze out all the water from the spinach. Put the spinach between the palm of your hands & squeeze to get rid of all the water. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix all the topping ingredients togther using the tips of your fingers not a spoon until the mixture resembles wet sand. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions & saute for a couple of minutes. Stir in the flour & cook for 2 more minutes. Whisk in the milk & keep whisking until the flour is dissolved & the sauce is thickened.
- Reduce heat to low, add the spinach to the pan & stir to combine. Add 1 cup cream, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, nutmeg & mix well. Bring the mixture to a low boil & turn off heat. Season with salt & pepper.
- Transfer the spinach to a baking dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs mixture on top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly. Broil for a couple of minutes until the top becomes golden.
- Serve immediately.
- For a step by step Arabic video of the recipe, check my instagram account.