Chinese cuisine will always be one of my absolute favorites. In less than 20 minutes, with a couple of sauces, a handful of veggies & any protein, you can prepare the most delicious dishes ever.
This recipe is one that I resort to whenever I am too lazy to cook & I know it won’t let me down.
The sauce is amazing; although it is made of soy sauce & sugar only, yet its perfectly balanced & the ginger + garlic + chili pepper + green onion flavor it perfectly.
A recipes that takes 20 minutes or even less to prepare yet it is so delicious & full of flavors!
STIR FRY BEEF WITH SWEET SOY SAUCE
- 2 1/2 tbsp oil
- 500 gm beef fillet or rump thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large garlic thinly sliced ثوم
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger minced جنزبيل
- 1 tsp red chili pepper thinly sliced (optional) فلفل حار
- 1 heaped tsp cornflour نشا
- 1/3 cup green onion thinly sliced, green part only بصل أخضر
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds سمسم
- In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, water, brown sugar & cornflour together; make sure the cornflour is dissolved & not lumpy.
- Heat a large pan over high heat until hot. Add 1 1/2 tbsp oil & cook the beef slices for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side until the edges start to caramelize. DON’T CROWD the pan; you can do this over 2-3 batches because you want the beef to get a nice color & not release its water. Remove the beef & set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining tbsp of oil & cook the garlic, ginger & chili pepper (if using) for about 30 seconds until fragrant but not brown.
- Stir the sauce then add it to the pan. Let it boil for about a minute or until it thickens a bit (this is not a very thick sauce).
- Return the beef to the pan & toss it with the sauce. Turn off heat. Sprinkle the green onion & sesame seeds on top. Serve immediately with steamed or fried rice.
- Beef rump is a lean cut of meat; that’s very tender almost like fillet but cheaper. It’s available at Gourmet.
- I don’t season the beef but if you want to season it, just toss the beef slices with a tiny pinch of salt & pepper because the soy sauce is already salty.
- The green onion & sesame seeds are not for garnish, they add a lot to the taste.