It seems that Friday became my ritual for posting a dessert/snack recipe. Two weeks ago, I posted a recipe for light chocolate peanut butter muffins & today I am going with apples & cinnamon.
If you are craving something sweet or want to enjoy a dessert for breakfast, this is the right muffin for you! The combination of apples, cinnamon & honey is out of this world!
Packed with apples & sweetened mainly with honey, this recipe tastes amazing & no one (I mean no one) will notice the whole wheat flour.
A very easy, delicious & quick recipe that happend to be light & full of apples!
LIGHT APPLE MUFFINS
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil زيت جوز هند
- 1/3 cup applesauce تفاح بيوريه
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded apples (about 2 apples)
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Prepare a muffin tray with 15 cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt.
- In another bowl, mix the honey, brown sugar, eggs, coconut oil, applesauce & vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients & whisk until just combined.
- Fold in the grated apples & stir a few times until nicely distributed in the batter & there are no streaks of flour.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners using an ice cream scoop. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick insterted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the tray then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- The muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 2 days or in the fridge up to one week.
- You can use vegetable oil instead of coconut oil.
- To make applesauce: peel & dice 1 apple then boil in little water until soft. Drain the apple & mash very well with a fork or process in a food processor until it is pureed. You will need only 1/3 cup.
- Use sweet apples as they are the main sweetener in this recipe. I use red or yellow apples, not green.
- These muffins freeze really well.
- I tried baking the muffins as a whole cake & it came out perfect.
Recipe adapted with changes from sally’s baking addiction