One of the things I am addiced to is cereal bars. I love having them in the morning with coffee before breakfast or as a snack.
Cereal bars are so tricky; they might seem healthy yet most store bought ones are filled with sugar, oil & butter. That’s why I always make my bars at home.
I have many amazing unhealthy ones made with chocolate, marshmallow, caramel … you name it but since I am on a healthy diet these days, I am sharing with you my healthy cereal bars recipe & will keep the others for later.
These bars are so easy; prepared in less than 10 minutes with only 3 ingredients. They are not too sweet, super crunchy & perfect as a snack or breakfast. I give them to my kids too.
If you prefer the bars sweeter, drizzle with melted chocolate; dark, white or milk.
CRUNCHY RICE KRISPIES BARS
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 200 gm dark, milk or white chocolate (optional)
- coconut oil for greasing
- Grease a 30×40 cm pyrex with coconut oil. The bars must be thin so if you don’t have 1 large pyrex, use 2 smaller ones.
- Place the Rice Krispies in a bowl, big enough to have room to mix it.
- Place the coconut oil, honey & sugar in a small pot over medium high heat. Stir the ingredients together & bring to a boil. Let it boil for EXACTLY 2 minutes (not more).
- Pour the sauce immediately over the Rice Krispies & mix well until all the corn flakes is coated. You have to mix very well otherwise it will not hold together.
- Pour the mixture in the pyrex & press on it with the back of a spoon or your hands until it is firmly packed into an even layer.
- Leave the mixture to firm up for 30 minutes then cut with a knife into bars.
- Optional Chocolate Layer: Chop the chocolate into small pieces (to melt quickly without burning) & place in a bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds intervals until it’s totally melted. Between each intervel, stir the chocolate well so that it doesn’t get burnt from the bottom. Drizzle the chocolate over the bars & let sit for another 20-30 minutes to harden.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for about 1 week.
- These bars are crunchy – not chewy – thats why they have to be thin not thick to be able to bite them easily.
- You can use chocolate Rice Krispies instead or a mixture of both.
- You can substitute one Rice Krispies cup with oats & chopped nuts.
- If you let the sauce boil for more than 2 minutes; the bars will be so hard.
- If you are using chocolate, make sure to use chocolate & not chocolate chips.