I am a huge fan of chicken & beef liver; they are so tender & taste amazing when properly seasoned & cooked.
I shared with you my favorite recipe for chicken liver with gravy sauce & today I am going street style with this shredded liver recipe.
It is as simple as marinating, cooking & serving in less than 30 minutes. The marination not only gives an amazing taste to the liver but it also makes it so tender & moist. The sauce that’s tossed at the end is simply delicious & gives this dish an amazing kick.
STREET STYLE SHREDDED LIVER
- 1 kg beef liver shredded
- 1 large green pepper finely diced
- 1-2 chili pepper finely diced
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- juice of 2 1/2 lemons
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- salt & pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 heaped tbsp tahini paste
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp oil for cooking
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped (optional)
- To wash: Soak the liver in milk for 5 minutes then rinse well with water. Place the liver in a sieve to drain all the water.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together. Toss the liver with the marinade, place in a sealed container & refrigerate for 6 hours up to overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix the sauce ingredients together. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan over high heat until sizzling hot. Add the oil then add the liver; cook for a couple of minutes on each side until it takes a nice caramelized color. Do this in 3-4 batches (not all at once) because you want the liver to take a nice color NOT release its water.
- Return all the the liver to the pan. Add the sauce & toss to coat the liver.
- Taste to adjust salt & pepper seasoning. Turn off heat. Add parsley (if using).
- Serve immediately with french fries, baladi bread & tahini.
- You can use veal بتلو or beef كندوز liver. Washing the beef liver with milk & leaving it in the marination for 6-24 hours takes away any bad smell or after taste & makes it very tender.