If you ever tried the cajun shrimp pasta at Crave restaurant, you will fall in love madly with this recipe because it is way better, richer & creamier.
Don’t let the word “cajun” intimidate you; it is simply a mixture of herbs (nothing fancy) that when mixed together give an amazing earthy flavor with no one spice over powering the other.
A restaurant style dish that is prepared in less than 30 minutes & served at the comfort of your own dining table.
It’s one of those recipes that I promise you will please everyone even the most picky eaters.
P.S. Please toss the pasta with the sauce right before serving so that it doesnt become dry!
CAJUN SHRIMP PASTA
- 1 pack spaghetti pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 350 gm shrimp peeled & deveined
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 red pepper very thinly sliced
- 1/2 green pepper very thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow pepper very thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 1/4 cups cream
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 1/3 cup parsley leaves chopped
- salt & pepper
- 2 tsp paprika بابريكا
- 1 tsp onion powder بصل بودرة
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder توم بودرة
- 1 tsp oregano اوريجانو
- 1 tsp thyme زعتر
- 1/2 tsp pepper فلفل اسود
- In a bowl, mix all the spices for the cajun seasoning. Set aside.
- Boil the pasta according to pack instructions. Drain & set aside. Scoop out 1/2 cup of the pasta boiling water & set aside.
- Wash the shrimps & pat dry with tissue paper. Season the shrimps with 2 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning, sugar, lemon juice & salt.
- Heat a large pan over high heat until hot. Add 1 tbsp olive oil & sear the shrimps for 1-2 minutes on each side until they turn orange & get slightly caramelized. Remove & set aside.
- Add the remaining oil & cook the colored peppers & onion for about 3 minutes; tossing frequently until they are nicely charred at the edges. Add the rest of the cajun seasoning & toss with the veggies.
- Add the water to deglaze the pan; scrapping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the stuck bits. Keep boiling the water until it’s almost totally reduced; little water will be left at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the cream & once the mixture starts to boil, reduce heat to low & simmer for about 5-7 minutes or until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese & parsley. Taste to adjust salt & pepper seasoning.
- Toss the pasta & shrimps with the sauce; adding pasta water to loosen the sauce if it got too thick (you might not need this step).
- Turn off heat. Sprinkle more cheese. Serve immediately.
- I use a measuring spoon in measuring the spices so if you are using regular tsp, make sure NOT to pile the spoon up high.
- Cut the veggies as thinly as possible so that you don’t have big veggie chunks.
- DON’T wash the pasta after boiling it; just drain it.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce right before serving so that it doesn’t become dry.