I haven’t posted a new chicken recipe for a while & this is not the norm as chicken is one of the stars of my blog.
Today’s chicken recipe is a favorite since my childhood. I grew up eating it on a weekly basis. Anyone who tastes this dish at our house has to ask for the recipe. The chicken is extremely tender & the caramelized onion sauce takes the taste to a whole new level.
Please don’t be intimidated by the word “caramelized onion” as I know this scares many people. Yes, it takes a lot of time to caramelize onion but you don’t have to be standing in front of the pot. Prepare other dishes while the onion is caramelizing slowly & gently in the pot.
Caramelizing onion takes time but honestly the result is worth every minute & adding it to chicken is just amazing!
You are about to introduce your family to a new favorite chicken recipe.
ROASTED CHICKEN WITH CARAMELIZED ONION
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 large yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 (1200 gm) chicken cut into 4 or 8 pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water or stock
- 3 cardamom pods حبهان
- 1 large green pepper roughly chopped
- salt & pepper
- Pat the chicken with tissue paper until it’s completely dry. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Melt the butter & oil in a large NON STICK (oven proof) pan over medium high heat. Add the onion, sugar & salt; stir to coat with the butter & oil. Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until the onions soften & some slices start to take a very light brown color (see photo). Reduce heat to LOW (NOT MEDIUM LOW), cover the pan & let cook for about 35-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the onion volume reduces dramatically & takes a deep golden color (see photo). At the end, stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- If, at any point, the onion looks like its about to burn or crisp, stir in 1/4 cup of water & scrape the caramelized parts from the bottom of the pan.
- Halfway through caramelizing the onion, preheat oven to 200 C.
- Add the water/stock, chopped green pepper & caradmom pods to the caramelized onion & bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once the mixture boils, add the chicken pieces skin side up. Bring the mixture again to a boil then spoon some sauce over the chicken. Taste the sauce for salt & pepper seasoning. Don’t add too much salt as the sauce reduces in the oven.
- Roast UNCOVERED in the oven for 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until the sauce is reduced & the chicken is cooked through with a golden skin. Get the pan out once in the middle of roasting & spoon sauce over the chicken.
- Serve with white rice or savory rice pudding (رز معمر).