I grew up in a house where we serve soup in the summer as well as the winter! We can have lentil soup in August, I know it’s weird but for my family this is just the norm!
Vegetable soup is one of my family’s favorites! It’s nutritious, full of the season’s veggies & tastes amazing.
The best part is that this soup is guilt free; it only has little olive for this BIG batch! So, if you are trying to lose weight, this makes a perfect dinner to keep you full & warm.
- 3 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 kg potato diced بطاطس
- 1/2 kg zucchini diced كوسة
- 1/2 kg green beans chopped فاصوليا
- 1/2 kg peas بسلة
- 1/2 kg carrots diced جزر
- 5 small French celery stalks sliced كرفس
- 2 large onion whole بصل
- 1 can sweet corn ذرة حلوة
- 13 cups stock مرقة
- 1 (200 ml) pack tomato puree
Herbs & Spices:
- 4 bay leaves ورق لورا
- 4 cardamom pods حبهان
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary روزمارى
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme زعتر
- 3 small mastic مستكة
- salt & pepper
- shredded cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup raw vermicelli شعرية
- Heat a large deep pot over high heat. Add the olive oil then add all the veggies except for the sweet corn & whole onion. Toss all the veggies with the olive oil & let cook for about 3-5 minutes; tossing frequently; don’t let the veggies brown.
- Add the stock, tomato puree, whole onions, herbs & spices. Bring the mixture to a boil then lower heat, cover & simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the potatos & carrots are fork tender. If using vermicelli, add it to the pot halfway through cooking.
- Turn off heat. Add the sweet corn & shredded chicken (if using). Discard the rosemary/thyme sprigs, whole onions, bay leaves & cardamom pods. Taste for salt & pepper seasoning.
- Serve with lemon juice.
- Make sure the veggies are diced into small pieces like the photo to cook evenly & quickly.
- I am using fresh peas & carrots that’s why I add them at the beggining. In case you are using frozen bags, add them halfway through simmering.
- I used 5 THIN celery stalks; in case the stalks you have are big & thick, use only 3 stalks.
- I don’t like the taste of diced onion in my soup so I add it whole. You can add it diced with the rest of the veggies if you prefer but make sure to sautee it in the olive oil first for 2-3 minutes then add the rest of the veggies.
- You CANT use fresh tomato juice in this recipe; use juhayna tomato puree or my homemade tomato puree recipe.
- This recipe can be HALVED or doubled.
- This makes a big pot of soup; it can stay in the fridge for up to 5-6 days. Just heat the amount you want daily; don’t heat the whole pot of soup everyday.