One of my favorite winter dishes has to be creamy risotto! It’s hot & creamy with different textures & deep flavors! A very fancy restaurant style dish that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes in your little kitchen!
I know a lot of people can be intimidated by this recipe, I promise you it is really easy; it only requires your undivided attention for about 20-25 minutes. Believe it or not, I find preparing risotto & standing in front of this hot pot – stirring rice gently in a circulat motion – very warming & relaxing after a long working day.
The flavors in this dish are amazing & work together perfectly; rich tomato sauce, tangy sour cream, salty parmesan & earthy mushrooms! Every bite is just soo good that you can devour the whole pot alone.
Not a dish to be prepared everyday but you deserve to pamper yourself & enjoy a warm bowl of risotto every now & then!
TOMATO, MUSHROOM & SOUR CREAM RISOTTO
5 – 5 1/2 cups stock مرقة
3/4 cup tomato puree
4 tbsp olive oil
250 gm mushroom sliced
1 small onion grated
1.5 cups arborio rice
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup sour cream كريمة حامضة
1/3 cup parmesan grated
1/4 cup parsley chopped بقدونس
salt & pepper
- In a small pot, add the stock & tomato puree & bring to a boil over low heat. Season with salt & pepper. Turn off heat.
- Heat a medium pot over medium high heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil & cook the mushrooms for about 5-8 minutes until nicely browned. You want the mushroom to brown & not release its water so the pot has to be hot. Once browned, remove the mushrooms & set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining olive oil & cook the onion, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the rice & cook for a couple of minutes to coat with the oil.
- Add the warmed tomato stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring constantly in a gentle circular motion. When the stock is almost absorbed by the rice, add another 2 ladles. Continue to cook, stir & add stock for about 20 minutes. Taste the risotto, it should be tender but still firm to the bite. If it is still tough, add 1 stock tomato ladle & stir for a couple of more minutes.
- Turn off heat. Return the mushrooms & stir in the butter, sour cream, parmesan cheese, oregano, parsley & black pepper. Taste for salt seasoning; it might need a little pinch of salt.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with more cheese & freshly grated black pepper.
- Arborio rice SHOULD NOT be washed. You can’t use any other kind of rice. Arborio rice can be found in large supermarkets.
- You can use vegetable or chicken stock.
- You CAN’T use fresh tomato puree; either use Juhayna tomato puree or my recipe for homemade tomato puree.
- Probably you won’t use all the stock/tomato mixture; you might have 1 – 1 1/2 ladles remaining.
- Risotto has to be served immediately; it can’t be prepared in advance.