I am not talking about the boring salad bowls we all grew up eating; I am talking creative salads with different textures, flavors & ingredients!
This salad is one of MY ALL TIME FAVORITES. It is the perfect combination of crunchy, creamy, sweet, crispy & acidic. Nothing overpowering; just simple ingredients complementing each other in a delicious way.
Healthy can’t get any better?
I usually prepare a big quantity & store it in an airtight container for 2-3 days. To keep it fresh, I add the avocado & dressing just before serving.
BONUS TIP: Make sure that your salad ingredients are well dried after washing to prevent the sauce from becoming watery & not stick to the veggies.
CHEDDAR, AVOCADO & ALMOND SALAD
- 1 batavia or iceberg lettuce* خس
- 1/2 bunch arugula leaves جرجير
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup black raisans زبيب اسود
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds لوز محمص
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp sugar
- juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- salt to taste
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a jar & shake until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large plate, toss the lettuce & arugula leaves together. Arrange the avocado, cheese, almonds & raisains on top. Drizzle with the sauce right before serving.
- Raisains are available at Seoudi, Sunny, Gourmet & Abu Auf. If the raisains are too big, cut each one in half.
- Batavia Lettuce is available at Seoudi, Sunny, Gourmet & Fresh Food Market. You can use iceberg كابوتشا instead.
- To prevent the salad from becoming soggy, make sure the lettuce & arugula are well dried from water after washing & add the sauce right before serving.
- You don’t have to use all the sauce; add enough sauce according to taste. Leftover sauce can be refrigerated for later use.
- The salad still tastes delicious without avocado so omitt it in case ripe avocado is not available.
- The salad can be prepared ahead of time, just arrange all the ingredients in a large plate, cover with plastic wrap & place in the fridge. Add the avocado & the dressing right before serving.