When Fridays & Chili’s first introduced fajita in Egypt, everybody was thrilled over this new dish. I remember we used to go every Thursday after school, order tons of fajita & enjoy our wraps! For years, I never ordered anything at Chili’s except Fajita!
Ever since I started cooking, I stopped eating fajita in restaurants! My homemade version is way better, cheaper & I get to play with the toppings as much as I want.
This dish is a perfect getaway from your everyday traditional cooking & is also perfect for big gatherings as people gather around the table & get creative with their wraps!
PLEASE PLEASE give this spicy avocado spread a try; it is to die for & will take your fajita wrap to a whole new level!
- 1/2 kg chicken breast thinly sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- salt & pepper
For the Spicy Avocado Spread:
1 ripe avocado mashed
1/2 small onion shredded
1/2 – 1 hot chili pepper finely diced
lemon juice to taste
salt to taste
- Season the chicken with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large non stick pan over high heat until very hot. Add the olive oil & sear the colored peppers & onion for about 3-5 minutes, tossing frequently, until nicely charred at the edges. Season with salt & pepper. Remove & set aside.
- Still on high heat, add the remaining oil & cook the chicken until it is almost cooked through & takes a brownish gold color.
- Return the veggies & garlic & toss everything together. Add the vinegar & give another toss to allow some vinegar to evaporate then turn off heat & cover for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, spicy avocado spread, grated cheddar & warm tortilla.
- For the spicy avocado spread: mix the mashed avocado, shredded onion & diced chili pepper in a food processor until they form a smooth spread. Add lemon juice & salt to taste.