There is another chicken recipe coming your way; it’s the classical Chicken with mushroom sauce but with a tiny twist!
Instead of using garlic or onion, I went with green onion or leeks! Don’t worry you won’t feel like eating onion; green onions have a milder taste than regular onion so they give a subtle, fresh & delicious kick to the dish.
A very easy recipe that can be prepared on busy days as it comes together in less than 30 minutes! The sauce is delicious with beef as well & for a lighter – cream free – option, check the notes section.
SHREDDED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM SCALLION SAUCE
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 kg chicken breast fillet thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 125 gm mushrooms sliced
- 2 medium sprigs green onion thinly sliced, white & green parts separated
- 1 cup stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup cream
- salt & pepper
- Season the chicken with paprika, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper.
- Place a large pan over high heat until hot. Add 1 tbsp olive oil & cook the chicken until golden (it will be cooked through as it is thinly sliced). Remove & set aside.
- Still on high heat, add the remaining olive oil & cook the mushrooms until they are nicely seared (take a nice golden color). Halfway through cooking the mushrooms, add the white parts of the green onion & toss with the mushrooms for a couple of minutes until the mushrooms are cooked through & the onions start to soften.
- Add the stock & soy sauce, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the stuck pieces. Keep boiling the stock until it’s reduced by half. Add the cream, reduce heat to low & simmer for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens. Return the chicken to the pan & toss everything together.
- Turn off heat. Add the green parts of the onion & season with salt/pepper.
- Serve over white pasta, basmati rice, mashed potato or mashed sweet potato.
- You can use leeks كرات instead of green onion.
- Make sure to thinly slice the green onions & if the onions are big, slice then roughly chop.
- For a lighter option; replace the cream with 1/2 cup milk then whisk 1 tsp cornflour dissolved in 3 tbsp water into the boiling sauce & it will thicken inmediately.