It is officially FALL!! Although the weather is still hot but this won’t stop me from creating pumpkin everything these days.
You might not be used to pumpkin in savoury dishes but pumpkin has a warm sweet taste that can be balanced with other salty ingredients, creating delicious comfort food.
This recipe is very easy; prepared in no time & mainly in the oven! The result is an amazing silky smooth sauce that gets tossed with hot pasta & sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan, black pepper & chopped parsley.
You can create a big batch & freeze the rest for later use. EXTRA BONUS: This dish is very kid friendly as the sweetness of the pumpkin really appeals to kids.
PASTA WITH PUMPKIN SAUCE
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg pumpkin peeled & cubed قرع عسل
- 1 large onion cut into quarters
- 2 garlic cloves whole
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (optional)
- 2 cups stock مرقة
- 1 cup half skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg جوزة الطيب
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped بقدونس
- salt & pepper
- Prepeat oven to 180 C.
- Drizzle the pumpkin cubes, onion quarters & whole garlic cloves with olive oil. Toss well until everything is coated. Arrange in a single layer on a baking tray. Sprinkle with salt & pepper & lay the rosemary sprigs on top.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft & slightly caramelized, tossing them once in the middle of the baking to make sure they bake evenly.
- Discard the rosemary sprigs & let the veggies cool slightly then blend with the stock, milk & butter until you have a smooth silky sauce.
- Pour the sauce into a pot & place over medium low heat. Bring to a low boil then stir in the parmesan cheese & nutmeg. If the sauce is too thick, add more stock until you get the desired consistency. Turn off heat, add the chopped parsley & season with salt & pepper.
- Add the sauce to the pasta right before serving; adding enough pasta water to make the sauce loose & help it stick to the pasta. Sprinkle with more chopped parsley, grated parmesan & black pepper.
- Using parmesan cheese is mandatory to balance out the sweetness of the pumpkin.
- You can buy store bought peeled & cubed pumpkin to save time.
- You can use half the sauce & freeze the rest for later use.