One ingredient that I believe is extremely underestimated in the kitchen is; chicken liver. Although this is the first liver recipe I share with you, yet I am a HUGE fan ever since I was a kid. It is extremely tender, cooked in no time & cheaper than any other kind of protein.
I eat it in million ways but believe it or not, I hate the famous pomegranate molasses liver dish served in Lebanese restaurants in Egypt. I don’t know why but I always find it too sweet or too tangy or maybe I prefer pomegranate molasses in more subtle ways.
This recipe is a little different than your regular Lebanese dish, the sauce is made of gravy granules, pomegranate molasses & dark soy making it extremely rich, creamy & delicious.
I think many people avoid cooking chicken liver because of its horrible smell (when raw) & the difficulty of washing it but don’t worry PROBLEM SOLVED. I included the best & easiest way to wash liver in the directions below.
CHICKEN LIVER IN BROWN SAUCE
- 1 kg chicken liver كبدة فراخ
- 1/2 tsp cumin كمون
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg جوزة الطيب
- 2 garlic cloves minced ثوم مفروم
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper sliced فلفل أحمر
- 1 yellow pepper sliced فلفل أصفر
- 1 medium onion sliced بصل
- 1/3 cups chopped parsley
- 1-2 red chili pepper sliced (optional)
- salt & pepper ملح وفلفل
For the Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups hot water ماء مغلى
- 2 tbsp gravy granules بودرة ديمي جلاس
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses دبس الرمان
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce صوص الصويا الغامق
- WASH THE LIVER: Rub the liver gently with 1/4 cup flour & 1 tsp black pepper Rinse immediately. Place the liver in a sieve مصفاة placed over a bowl for about 30 minutes to drain the water.
- Toss the liver with the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg & black pepper.
- Mix the sauce ingredients until the gravy granules dissolve. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan over high heat until hot. Add the oil & cook the liver for about 2 minutes on each side until it gets a nice brown color. DON’T OVERCROWD the pan; you can do this over 2-3 batches because you want the liver to get a nice color & not release its water & boil.
- Add the veggies & cook with the liver for about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the pan & bring to a boil. Once the sauce boils, reduce heat to low, & simmer uncovered for about 5-8 minutes until the sauce thickens & the liver is cooked through. Turn off heat & season with salt & pepper.
- Serve with rice or baked potato.
- The brand of gravy granules I use is “Ahh Bisto” (picture above), it is sold in all large supermarkets at an affordable price but you can use your favorite demi glace powder instead.
- Don’t overcook the liver! To know if it is cooked through, cut the biggest piece with a fork, if there is no blood coming out then it is done.
- If the liver is not cooked through at the end of the cooking time, add 1/4 cup hot water & simmer for another 3-5 minutes.