I know you are used to me posting quick recipes but to tell you the truth sometimes I crave slow cooked rich stews. PLEASE don’t get intimidated by the word “stew” & the cooking time, I promise you this recipe is soo easy & 2 hours of the cooking time won’t need your attention so basically it’s a 30 minutes recipe haha. Go enjoy a book or play with your kids & let the stove do the work for you.
In this recipe, I am using a cheaper cut of meat but cooking it for such a long time over LOW heat makes it so tender & almost falling apart. The sauce is another story on its own; full of veggies that are stewed until they melt creating a creamy out of this world sauce.
Comfort food can never get any better! A favorite dish at our home even my picky kids enjoy the sauce over rice, pasta or mashed potato.
BEEF & VEGGIE STEW
- 2 large onions grated
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 medium green pepper finely diced
- 2 stalks french celery finely diced (no leaves) كرفس فرنساوى
- 1 kg lean beef cubes small to medium size مكعبات كندوز صغيرة بدون دهن
- 1 heaped tbsp flour
- 4 cups hot water
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp tomato paste صلصة طماطم
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- In a large pot over high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil & saute the veggies for about 5 minutes until they start to soften. Remove & set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil & sear the beef cubes until they take a nice brown color on all sides (they will still be raw inside). Cook the cubes in batches without crowding the pot to let the meat sear not boil.
- Return the veggies to the pot & add the flour; mixing it well with the meat & veggies. Add the water, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce & tomato paste. Stir everything together & bring to a boil. Once the mixture boils, cover the pot & let it simmer over LOW heat for 2 hours.
- In the last half an hour, check on the pot twice; stirring the mixture to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom. The dish is cooked when the sauce thickens & the meat is very fork tender; almost falling apart when poked with a fork.
- Season with salt + pepper & turn off heat.
- Serve with rice or mashed potato.
- If you use another cut of meat like veal cubes or tenderloin, the cooking time will change dramatically.
- To save time, I chop the onions & carrots in the mini chopper.
- If after 2 hours, the meat is still not very fork tender, add 1/2 a cup of hot water & leave it to cook for another 30 minutes.
- DON’T season the dish at the beginning as it will end up too salty.