My kids’ Friday breakfast is pancakes & tell you a secret, I ALWAYS ALWAYS hated that! I wake up, run to the kitchen, prepare the batter & spend not less than 20 minutes in front of a hot stove making stacks of pancakes! KILL ME!!
The day I came across DUTCH BABY recipe online was a dream come true! I simply threw the ingredients in the blender then baked the batter in the oven! Voila, DONE!
All you need is eggs, milk, sugar, flour & butter then the oven will do its magic! This pancake puffs up high high high to get crispy edges with a soft buttery center & once out of the oven, this whole puffiness collapses! Drizzle with honey, maple syrup, chocolate sauce, fruits, powdered sugar or just enjoy it plain (like I do)!
Tell you another secret, it is even tastier than regular stove top pancakes!
DUTCH BABY PANCAKE
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the flour, milk, eggs, sugar & vanilla, scraping down the sides until totally blended. The batter will be liquid-like.
- Melt the butter on the stove in an oven proof pan (size 28 cm) until it sizzles (don’t let the butter brown). Turn off the heat, pour the batter over the hot melted butter & bake in the oven for about 15-18 minutes until the pancake is all puffed up & the edges are brown.
- Serve immediately drizzled with honey or sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Start preparing your batter 10 minutes after you turn on the oven because you want the oven to be hot when you place the batter.
- The puffiness of the Dutch Baby will collapse once it is out of the oven.