A year & half ago when I started this blog, I told you that I am not a baker by any means but actually the more I follow my passion & explore deeper into the cooking world, the more I fall in love with baking. Actually, it has this calming & relaxing effect more than any thing in the world. At the end of day, I am a cake addict so how come I wasn’t into baking?
Back to the below recipe, nothing I say will be enough for this cake! It is a light version yet it tastes so classical & authentic that I bet you no one can notice that it is light. I hate the taste of whole wheat flour but in this recipe, it is non detectable. The cake is moist & fluffy with the right amount of spices.
The labneh frosting is my new discovery; sweet & creamy with a slight tang .. Perfect for frosting! You don’t get to use any butter or powdered sugar; way healthier & lighter than regular frosting yet there is no compromise on the taste. From now on, I will be using as my “go to” frosting recipe!
My only advice would be to bake the cake in a light colored baking pan or in a Pyrex because I have noticed that dark baking pans make the bottom & sides burn before the cake is done. I sometimes bake in dark baking pans but in this recipe, it really makes the cake burn faster.
Enjoy the cake at room temperature or cold, it tastes amazing in both cases but I always prefer eating my carrot cake cold.
LIGHT CARROT CAKE WITH LABNEH FROSTING
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour دقيق قمح
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon قرفة
- 1/4 tsp ginger جنزبيل
- 1/8 tsp cloves قرنفل
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg جوزة الطيب
- pinch salt رشة ملح
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or olive oil (I prefer vegetable oil in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cup freshly grated carrots
For the Frosting:
- 200 gm labneh
- 1 heaped tbsp honey or more to taste
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Lightly grease a 23 cm baking pan with oil or oil spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients & set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients together until well combined.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. DON’T OVER MIX. Fold in the freshly grated carrots.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan & bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, mix the labneh with honey & vanilla extract.
- Let the cake cool in the baking pan for about 10 minutes then invert it on a wire rack until it completely cools down.
- When the cake is totally cooled, frost the top with the labneh frosting.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- Grate the carrots in a mini chopper or food processor; don’t waste time grating them with the hand grater.
- Bake the cake in a Pyrex dish or a light colored baking pan because a dark colored pan will help the bottom & sides burn faster.
- If the size of the baking pan changes, the baking time will change.
- Don’t frost the cake while it is still hot as the frosting will melt.
- In my humble opinion, carrot cake is better served cold.
One thought on “LIGHT CARROT CAKE WITH LABNEH FROSTING”
Loved the recipe………its yum