Beef Stroganoff is a classical Russian dish made of beef, onion, mushrooms & a delicious sour cream based sauce. The sour cream gives a tangy taste to the sauce taking it to a whole new level compared to a regular cream based beef mushroom dish.
This is one of the recipes that took me a while to nail down as the sauce tasted like melted sour cream without any depth & it always always curdled. So after about 7 trials, trust me this final recipe is soooo flavorful, delicious & epic!
An authentic recipe that’s so easy & prepared in less than 30 minutes!
CLASSICAL BEEF STROGANOFF
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 500 gm beef tenderloin cut into strips or bite size pieces
- half a small onion finely diced
- 250 gm mushroom sliced
- 1/2 cup water or stock
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp yellow or Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- Season the beef with salt & pepper.
- Heat a large pan over high heat until hot. Add 1 tbsp olive oil then add the beef slices. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until nicely browned. DON’T OVERCROWD the pan; you can do this over 2 batches because you want the beef to get a nice color & not steam. Remove the beef onto a plate & set aside.
- Add 2 more tbsp olive oil then cook the onion & mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are fully cooked.
- Add the water/stock to deglaze the pan; scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to get out all the brown bits & pieces. The water/stock will reduce immediately to about 1/4 of a cup.
- Reduce heat to low, add the sour cream, worcestershire sauce & mustard. Stir everything together to mix & melt the sour cream. DON’T LET THE SAUCE BOIL OR IT WILL CURDLE.
- Return the beef to the pan & let cook with the sauce for a couple of minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
- Turn off heat & serve over white rice, pasta or mashed potato.
- Don’t worry the beef will not be undercooked.
- The beef cut used is tenderloin, in Arabic it is عرق فلتو.
- Never let the sauce boil or it will curdle even when reheating. Always keep an eye on the pan so that it doesn’t come to a boil.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools so when reheating, add 1-2 tbsp water to loosen the sauce if needed.