At our home, we are big fans of seafood, especially FISH! We eat fish twice a week & one of them has to be fried. Nothing beats fried fish with a crispy coating, juicy meat & the perfect balanced marinade that doesn’t overshadow the taste of the fish.
I usually buy fish once a month, wash it, marinade it & place in the freezer to be handy whenever we are craving it. Simply defrost, coat with the breading mixture & deep fry.
I love fish fillet that is thickly cut but you can go with a thinner cut if you prefer.
We usually have big family gatherings around this dish served with brown rice & all sorts of amazing salads & dips.
FRIED FISH FILLET
- 1 kg fish fillet سمك فيليه
- 5 tsp cumin كمون
- Juice of 4 lemons ليمون
- 1 tbsp vinegar خل
- 5 large garlic cloves minced ثوم مفروم
- 1/2 tsp turmeric كركم
- salt (about 1.5 tsp or according to taste) ملح
For the breading:
- 1 1/2 cups flour دقيق
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs بقسماط
- oil for deep frying زيت للقلى
- Wash the fish & pat it dry or place in a sieve to get rid of all the water.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together. Coat the fish with the marinade & place in an airtight container in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hrs up to overnight.
- Mix the flour with the breadcrumbs.
- Coat the fish with the flour/breadcrumb mixture, pressing firmly with your hands to make sure it sticks to the fish.
- Deep fry in hot oil over high heat until golden brown. If the oil gets very hot between batches, reduce the heat to medium.