So, we all end up with leftover boiled chicken in our fridge from that stock we prepared the other day! How about if I tell you that this boiled chicken can be turned into a restaurant style dish in less than 30 minutes?
This dish is inspired by the traditional Palestinian Mesakhan flavor; olive oil, sumac & onion. It has an amazing warm earthy flavor & looks really fancy yet requires almost zero effort.
I know most of you won’t be interested in baking bread but this recipe is a killer! No yeast, almost no kneading, stove top & the result is SUPER DUPER SOFT ROLLS that you won’t believe you prepared them yourself!
Shredd this leftover boiled chicken you have in the fridge & give this amazing recipe a try!
CHICKEN ROLLS WITH HOMEMADE BREAD
For the Chicken:
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 boiled chicken shredded
- 2 1/2 tsp sumac
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- salt & pepper
For the Bread:
- 3 cups flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 – 1/4 cups water
- For the Chicken: In a large pan over medium heat, add 3 tbsp olive oil & sautee the onion until it softens. You don’t want the onion to brown so if the pan is too hot, reduce heat to low. Add the chicken, sumac & pomegranate molasses; stir well with the onion until everything is nicely mixed.
- In a small pan over medium high heat, fry the pine nuts in 2 tbsp olive oil stirring constantly until nicely browned. Stir the pine nuts (with its oil) with the chicken. Season with salt & pepper. Add the parsley. Set aside.
- For the Bread: In a bowl, mix the flour, oil, salt & sugar & 1 cup water. Add more water, 1 tbsp at a time, until a dough forms. You probably won’t need the whole 1/4 cup water. Put the dough on a floured surface & knead for about 5 minutes, sprinkling with little flour if it is too sticky. The dough should form a soft non sticky ball. Rub the dough ball with little oil, place in the bowl & cover with a towel. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 7 equal balls. Roll each ball on a lightly floured surface into a thin disc. You need the dough to be almost paper thin but holding shape & not tearing apart.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium high heat until HOT. Using a brush, remove the extra flour on the rolled disc. Put the bread on the pan until it has LIGHT golden spots on the bottom. Flip the bread & let cook until it has dark golden spots. Flip the bread again for a couple of seconds until it puffs & the light spots become golden. So you have a total of 2 flips.
- Place the cooked bread between 2 towels; the bottom towel should be dry while the upper towel should be wet (water squeezed from it). This step is crucial for having soft rolls. Stack the cooked rolls on top of each other until you are done with the whole quantity. Leave the rolls between the towels for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- Stuff the rolls with the chicken mixture & roll. Serve immediately with hummus, tahini or tomeya.
- You can freeze the stuffed rolls for up to 1 month. Defrost then heat in a warm oven or in the toaster.
One thought on “CHICKEN ROLLS WITH HOMEMADE SOFT BREAD”
Pingback: INDIAN BEEF STEW