I know this might seem like a normal dish but I promise you the flavor is BIG. Since mother’s day is soon, I decided to share with you one of my mom’s favorite dishes.
I believe the hero of this dish is the Spice blend used in the rice & chicken. No fancy spices required & no over powering taste; just an earthy, vibrant & delicious mixture.
This is a whole meal served in one dish so just prepare a nice bowl of salad & enjoy a hearty warm meal with your family.
Please don’t skip the charcoal part in the chicken as it adds A LOT to the flavor. Also, don’t skip the nuts & green onion as they add an amazing crunch & freshness to the dish.
TURMERIC RICE WITH GRILLED CHICKEN
For the Rice:
- 2 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 cinnamon stick قرفة
- 2 cardamom pods حبهان
- 2 cloves قرنفل
- 1 tsp turmeric كركم
- 1/8 tsp black pepper فلفل اسود
- 2 cups basmati rice washed & drained
- 3 cups hot water or stock
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
For the Chicken:
- 1/2 kg chicken breast fillet cubes
- 1 tsp garlic powder ثوم بودرة
- 1 tsp onion powder بصل بودرة
- 1/2 tsp paprika بابريكا
- 1/2 tsp corriander كسبرة
- 1/2 tsp turmeric كركم
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard
- salt & pepper
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts صنوبر
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds لوز
- 1/4 cup green onion thinly sliced, the green part only بصل أخضر
You will need:
- 1 piece of small charcoal فحم
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small piece of foil ورق فويل
- Cook the rice: Put the oil in a medium pot over high heat. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, turmeric, pepper & stir for about 1 minute until the spices are fragrant. Add the rice & stir to coat well with the oil & spices. Keep stirring the rice for about 2-3 minutes then add the hot water, sugar & salt. Cover the pot & let cook over high heat until the water boils & is almost absorbed. Once the water is almost absorbed, reduce heat to low, place the pot on a diffuser صفيحة & cover until the rice is fully cooked. Turn off heat, fluff with a fork & set aside.
- Cook the chicken: Toss the chicken cubes with all the marinade ingredients. Heat a grill or non stick pan over high heat until hot. Cook the chicken on all sides until golden brown on the outside & cooked through inside. You can cook the chicken in 2-3 batches so as not to crowd the pan/grill. Once the chicken is cooked, place the piece of charcoal directly on the stove flame until it is red hot. Place a piece of foil in the middle of the chicken then put the charcoal on the foil. Pour 1 tbsp oil on the charcoal & cover the chicken (tightly) immediately. Keep the chicken covered for 15 minutes up to 1 hour.
- Assemble the dish: Put the rice on a serving plate. Arrange the chicken on top of the rice & sprinkle with the toasted nuts & green onion. Serve immediately.