Who said wings have to be fried to be crispy? This recipe is the best proof that wings can be baked without a drop of oil & still be super crispy!
Now you can enjoy your wings without the hassle & calories of deep frying. I promise you there is also no compromise on crispiness. It is a very simple technique that requires zero effort from your side & the result is perfect! My husband never knew that the wings he eats almost every week are not fried.
The spicy BBQ sauce is delicious, so easy to prepare & you can control the level of spiciness as per your preference.
Feel free to toss those wings with any sauce you prefer & I promise they won’t let you down.
CRISPY BAKED WINGS WITH BBQ SAUCE
- 1/2 kg chicken wings
- 1 tsp baking powder
- salt & pepper
Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 12 splashes of hot sauce
Blue Cheese Dip
- 2 yoghurt packs
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- salt & pepper
- Wash the wings & pat dry WELL with tissue paper. Place the wings on a plate, next to each other (not overlapping) & refrigerate UNCOVERED for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- In a bowl, toss the wings with salt, pepper & baking powder. Arrange the wings in a single layer, slightly apart from each other on a WIRE rack شبكة.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until the skin is crispy & the inside is cooked.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce: Put the garlic & butter in a small pan over medium high heat. Once the butter melts & starts foaming, stir in the BBQ sauce. Once the mixture boils, reduce heat to low & stir in the hot sauce. Turn off heat.
- Once the wings are out of the oven, place the wings & sauce in a box, cover the box & shake until the wings are well coated. Serve immediately with blue cheese dip.
- For the blue cheese dip: place the blue cheese & yoghurt in a food processor. Pulse a few times until they are mixed together. Season with salt & pepper.
- You have to pat dry the wings very well with tissue paper after washing.
- I use a measuring spoon to measure the baking powder, if you are using a regular tsp, don’t pile it up high.
- These wings must be baked on a wire rack شبكة not a baking tray. For easy cleaning, place foil under the wire rack to catch any drippings.
- Your oven must be hot before baking the wings otherwise they will take longer to bake & might become dry.
- You might need to use a knife to help release the wings from the wire rack.
- Adjust the amount of hot sauce in the BBQ sauce according to your preference.
Baking Technique adapted from The Kitchn