Whether Ramadan comes in the winter or summer, soup is always the first dish we break our fast with. Serving a new soup everyday is not easy so let me help you this year with some new soup recipes using fresh seasonal veggies.
The first recipe for this month will be Artichoke Soup; it is very delicious, new & easy to prepare. I prefer you use fresh artichokes as they are in season but you can go with the frozen ones if you are in a hurry! And because it is so hot & spending hours in the kitchen while fasting is not an option, this recipe comes together in no time with minimum work from your side.
I tried making this soup without potato but it comes out too watery so don’t skip the potato; it won’t add anything to the taste but makes the soup super creamy!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium potato chopped
- 1 large garlic clove chopped
- 500 gm artichoke chopped خرشوف
- 6 cups chicken stock مرقة
- juice of 1/2 a lemon or according to taste
- pinch nutmeg جوزة الطيب
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil & cook the onion, potato & garlic for about 5 minutes until the onions are soft (don’t brown).
- Add the artichoke & stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low & let the soup simmer with the pot semi-covered until the veggies are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat & blend until smooth .
- Return the soup back to the pot & place over low heat. Add the cream, nutmeg, lemon juice & parmesan cheese (if using). Season with salt & pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil & turn off heat. Serve immediately.
- You can use frozen or fresh artichoke.
- In case you don’t have stock, you can use 6 cups water + 1 Maggi cube.
- To reheat the soup, you might need to add little water or stock to make it thinner.