The first recipe for this month will be Artichoke Soup; it is very delicious, new & easy to prepare. I prefer you use fresh artichokes as they are in season but you can go with the frozen ones if you are in a hurry! And because it is so hot & spending hours in the kitchen while fasting is not an option, this recipe comes together in no time with minimum work from your side.
I tried making this soup without potato but it comes out too watery so don’t skip the potato; it won’t add anything to the taste but makes the soup super creamy!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium potato chopped
- 1 large garlic clove chopped
- 500 gm artichoke chopped خرشوف
- 6 cups chicken stock مرقة
- juice of 1/2 a lemon or according to taste
- pinch nutmeg جوزة الطيب
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil & cook the onion, potato & garlic for about 5 minutes until the onions are soft (don’t brown).
- Add the artichoke & stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low & let the soup simmer with the pot semi-covered until the veggies are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat & blend until smooth .
- Return the soup back to the pot & place over low heat. Add the cream, nutmeg, lemon juice & parmesan cheese (if using). Season with salt & pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil & turn off heat. Serve immediately.
- You can use frozen or fresh artichoke.
- In case you don’t have stock, you can use 6 cups water + 1 Maggi cube.
- To reheat the soup, you might need to add little water or stock to make it thinner.