For all Teriyaki lovers, this is your new addiction!
Ever since Teriyaki Stir Fry Beef appeared on the menus of Asian restaurants & I fell in love at first bite. I just ADORE it … I can devour anything .. literally anything covered in Teriyaki.
I searched the Internet over & over for the recipe but it always required Mirin & Sake which aren’t available in Egypt. I tried to work around with Soy Sauce & all kinds of sweeteners but still didn’t reach the flavor I am looking
& FINALLY I NAILED IT!
Here you go ladies & gentlemen … Teriyaki Beef Stir Fry!
Stir frying is a very easy yet tricky cooking technique. The dish is cooked in no time but you have to be aware of 3 very important things:
- You need a hot pan … a really hot pan!
- The beef cut you are using makes a huge difference in the outcome of this recipe; I am using beef tenderloin & not those store-bought strips
- You have to prepare all the ingredients next to you before cooking because if the beef is overcooked you will end up with rubbery slices
TERIYAKI BEEF STIR FRY
For the marinade:
- 800 gm lean tenderloin beef, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (see notes)
- 1/4 cup black molasses عسل أسود
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger (optional)
For the stir fry:
- Olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper sliced into 1.5 cm strips
- 1 small onion sliced into 1.5 cm strips
- 2 small green onion sprigs thinly sliced (green & white parts separated)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Place the beef slices in a bowl, add all the marinade ingredients & keep in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl & set aside.
- Cook the beef: Heat a large pan over high heat until hot. Add 1 tbsp oil then add the beef slices. Cook for 2 minutes on each side until the edges start to caramelize. DON’T OVERCROWD the pan; you can do this over 2-3 batches because you want the beef to get a nice color & not steam. Remove the beef onto a plate & set aside.
- Cook the Veggies: With your heat still on high, add another tbsp oil to the pan then add the pepper, onion & white parts of the green onion. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened, remove onto a plate & set aside.
- With the heat still on high, add the sauce to the pan*, let boil for about 1 minute to thicken & reduce.
- Return the beef slices & veggies to the pan, toss with the sauce. Turn off the heat, sprinkle with the sesame seeds & green parts of the green onion. Serve immediately.
- Teriyaki sauce bottle is available in the Asian Aisle of Seoudi, Alfa, Sunny Supermarkets & Hypermarkets.
- Adding 3/4 of the sauce amount to the pan creates the perfect beef to sauce ratio but in case you like a lot of sauce to spoon over rice/noodles, add the full amount stated in the recipe.
- Remember! This dish cooks over high heat & takes literally minutes to come together. Don’t worry your beef will not be undercooked!