For all Teriyaki lovers, this is your new addiction!
Ever since Teriyaki Stir Fry Beef appeared on the menus of Asian restaurants & I fell in love at first bite. I just ADORE it … I can devour anything .. literally anything covered in Teriyaki.
I searched the Internet over & over for the recipe but it always required Mirin & Sake which aren’t available in Egypt. I tried to work around with Soy Sauce & all kinds of sweeteners but still didn’t reach the flavor I am looking
& FINALLY I NAILED IT!
Here you go ladies & gentlemen … Teriyaki Beef Stir Fry!
Stir frying is a very easy yet tricky cooking technique. The dish is cooked in no time but you have to be aware of 3 very important things:
- You need a hot pan … a really hot pan!
- The beef cut you are using makes a huge difference in the outcome of this recipe; I am using beef tenderloin & not those store-bought strips
- You have to prepare all the ingredients next to you before cooking because if the beef is overcooked you will end up with rubbery slices
For the marinade:
- 800 gm lean tenderloin beef, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (see notes)
- 1/4 cup black molasses عسل أسود
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger (optional)
For the stir fry:
- Olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper sliced into 1.5 cm strips
- 1 small onion sliced into 1.5 cm strips
- 2 small green onion sprigs thinly sliced (green & white parts separated)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Place the beef slices in a bowl, add all the marinade ingredients & keep in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl & set aside.
- Cook the beef: Heat a large pan over high heat until hot. Add 1 tbsp oil then add the beef slices. Cook for 2 minutes on each side until the edges start to caramelize. DON’T OVERCROWD the pan; you can do this over 2-3 batches because you want the beef to get a nice color & not steam. Remove the beef onto a plate & set aside.
- Cook the Veggies: With your heat still on high, add another tbsp oil to the pan then add the pepper, onion & white parts of the green onion. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened, remove onto a plate & set aside.
- With the heat still on high, add the sauce to the pan*, let boil for about 1 minute to thicken & reduce.
- Return the beef slices & veggies to the pan, toss with the sauce. Turn off the heat, sprinkle with the sesame seeds & green parts of the green onion. Serve immediately.
- Teriyaki sauce bottle is available in the Asian Aisle of Seoudi, Alfa, Sunny Supermarkets & Hypermarkets.
- Adding 3/4 of the sauce amount to the pan creates the perfect beef to sauce ratio but in case you like a lot of sauce to spoon over rice/noodles, add the full amount stated in the recipe.
- Remember! This dish cooks over high heat & takes literally minutes to come together. Don’t worry your beef will not be undercooked!
You must be logged in to post a comment.