Let’s first agree that piccata is not mushroom sauce as it’s known to many of you. Piccata is a “lemon, capers & butter” based sauce. Once I think of these flavors, the first thing that comes to my mind is seafood & not chicken.
Fish & shrimps pan fried in olive oil & butter then tossed with a lemony creamy sauce. If this is not comfort food for you, I don’t know what is.
A very delicate, flavorful & warm dish that comes together in less than 30 minutes snd guaranteed to please a crowd.
FISH & SHRIMP PICCATA
- 500 gm fish fillet
- 250 gm peeled shrimps
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup apple cider vingar
- 1 cup water
- juice of 2 lemons, divided
- 1/4 cup capers
- 2 garlic cloves whole
- 1 1/4 cups cream
- 1/3 cup parlsey chopped
- salt & pepper
- Pat the fish & shrimps dry with tissue paper. Season with salt & pepper. Dredge the fish only in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat a large saute pan over high heat, add the olive oil & butter. Pan fry the fish until lightly golden on both sides & just cooked through. Remove the fish to a platter & set aside. Reduce heat to medium high (as the pan will be too hot by now) then cook the shrimps for a couple of minutes on each side until they turn pink & are cooked through. Remove & set aside.
- Deglaze the pan (get out the bits & pieces stuck at the bottom of the pan) with the apple cider vinegar & scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Let the vinegar evaporate until reduced to half. Add the water, juice of 1 1/2 lemons, capers & garlic cloves. Still over medium high heat, let the mixture boil until its reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Reduce heat to low, add the cream & let simmer for a couple of minutes until thickened. The sauce should coat the back of a spoon & not be too watery. Season with salt & pepper & check if you need to add the juice of extra 1/2 lemon.
- Return the shrimps & fish back to the pan along with the parsley; stir through. Take off the heat and serve immediately.
- This recipe cane be prepared with either fish or shrimps only.
- For the step by step Arabic video, check my instagram account.