Before getting married & having kids, I used to hate anything cooked with bones; mainly whole chicken. It was such a hassle to eat; I always preferred fillet!
Then my cooking obsession started & I learnt that poultry cooked “bone in” yields the juiciest results.
And GOD! Whole chicken is so easy to cook; you just marinade it, throw it in the oven or over the stove & it takes care of itself! SPOT ON for busy & lazy days or actually any day!
PLEASE Don’t be intimidated by cooking whole chicken because I used to!
The most difficult part for me was washing this “horribly smelling” bird!
Here is my trick; wash the chicken inside out very well under tap water “cold not hot” then soak it in water with vinegar, flour & 1/4 tsp ground coffee granules for about 15-20 minutes! Rinse it very well inside out & pat it dry with tissue paper!
The most difficult part is over!
Second comes the marination!
All you need here is just 3 ingredients! Marinade overnight! Cook over the stove then broil in the oven! Literally, lunch will be served in 45 minutes max! The combination of sweet chili, BBQ & soy or hoison creates an amazing taste! It is as if you are creating a new barbecue-y sauce that has the sweetness & spice of the sweet chili along with the sourness of the hoisin/soy sauce!
Serve it with jasmine or turmeric rice & comfort food won’t be any easier or tastier!
CHICKEN WITH SWEET CHILI BBQ SAUCE
- 1 whole chicken (1100 gm) cut into 4 or 8 pieces (bone in – skin on)
- 1 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 Tbsp hoison or soy sauce
- salt & pepper
- Season chicken with salt & pepper.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together. Coat the chicken well with the marinade rubbing some under the skin. Cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate overnight.
- Get the chicken out 30 minutes before cooking.
- Pour the chicken with the marinade into an oven proof pan.
- Cook uncovered on the stove over high heat until the sauce starts to boil.
- Once the sauce boils, lower the heat to medium low, cover the pan & cook for 35-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Open the oven broiler, scoop some sauce over the chicken & broil until the chicken takes a nice deep reddish color & the sauce gets sticky.
- Serve immediately.
- The chicken has to be marinated overnight otherwise the taste won’t be the same.
- If the sauce dries out during cooking on the stove, add little water; about 1/4 cup at a time.
- The cooking time is calculated on a 1100 gm chicken so in case you have a bigger one, the cooking time will increase accordingly.
- Sweet Chili, Barbecue & Hoison/Soy sauce are available in all large supermarkets.