As I am having my baby girl literally pressing every single key on my laptop as I am typing & my son trying to open my screen all the way back; splitting my whole laptop in half so this will be a short post!
I am not & will never be one of those healthy people obsessed about quinoa & oats but finding healthier alternatives that still taste delicious for the food I love is something I am always in search for.
Because fact of life; bechamel & frosting make u fat :( so one day I am eating buttery mashed potato & the other day I am watching out to keep a balanced diet & maintain my weight!
Healthy or not, I never compromise taste not even by 1%.
Back to pancakes, I have my foolproof buttermilk pancake recipe which I will share with you later but I wanted a lighter version for those “watching out” days!
I have tried the famous “banana & egg” pancake recipe going all over the Internet but sorry guys, are you serious? This is not pancake! This is a mashed banana in the form of a disc.
For the past 6 months, I have been testing recipes for a banana pancake that is delicious, has pancake texture & not too mushy.
Finally & by total coincidence, I developed the recipe that satisfies my taste buds & at the same time still makes me maintain my jeans size!
The trick in this recipe is the coconut milk, it compliments the banana flavor perfectly & prevents the pancake from tasting too “banana-ish”.
I just eat those pancakes alone or drizzle them with honey, maple syrup or date honey! I sometimes, add chopped fruits or nuts! Whatever your taste is, I am sure you will love those pancakes!
WHOLE WHEAT BANANA PANCAKE WITH COCONUT MILK
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 medium banana totally mashed *
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Mix all the ingredients together except the coconut milk using a whisk or wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Add the 1/4 cup coconut milk & mix well to have a relatively thick batter.
- Heat a large non stick pan over medium low heat until slightly hot.
- Spray the pan with oil spray or add 1 tsp oil & wipe it with tissue paper.
- Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 pancakes. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top, the edges seem dry & the bottom is nicely browned.
- Flip the pancakes & cook for another 1-2 minutes until browned.
- Serve with sliced bananas, raw honey & chopped pecan or whatever you like.
- You can use 2 small bananas or 3/4 of a large banana instead of the medium one.
- In case you don’t have coconut milk, you can use regular low fat milk but the taste won’t be exactly the same.
- This recipe makes 3 medium pancakes but it will make more in case you want smaller pancakes.
- To make sure that the bottom of the pancake is nicely browned, you can lift the side of the pancake using the tip of a knife.
- In case you are using a smaller pan, you can make the pancakes one by one but lower the heat after the first pancake because the pan will be too hot.