But when I got married, my husband thought I am NUTS when I served him a steaming bowl of soup in July!! Since that day, I became like most “normal” people & started to restrict soups to winter; we were only 2 in the house so I won’t cook a whole batch of soup for myself!
LENTIL SOUP WITH FRIED CROUTONS
- 3 cups red lentil washed and drained
- 330 gm onion roughly chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- 340 gm carrots peeled & roughly chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 10 cups chicken or vegetable stock*
- 2 tbsp butter cubed
- 2 tsp cumin or more to taste
- salt & pepper
- To serve: fried pita (shami) croutons
- Place all your ingredients except the butter & cumin in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to medium/low & let simmer – not fully covered – for about 30-40 minutes or until the carrots become very fork tender.
- Turn off the heat; with an immersion blender or in a regular blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Return the pot back to the stove on low heat.
- In a small pan, over medium heat, place the butter & cumin. Stir for 1 minute or until the butter melts & the mixture is fragrant.
- Pour the butter/cumin mixture over the soup & stir well.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with fried pita croutons (shami bread) on top.
- In case you don’t have stock, you can cook it with water only & it will still taste delicious or you can use 10 cups of water & 1 stock cube.
- For a lighter option, instead of frying the croutons, you can toss them with 1 or 2 tbsp olive oil & roast in the oven at 200C tossing the croutons half way through to make sure it roasts equally.