A grilled kofta sandwich with tahini or tzatziki, some pickles & french fries is always a super delicious idea.
This kofta recipe is super easy & without any fancy ingredients as it’s all about enjoying the taste of meat not seasonings.
Whether grilled on the stove, oven or outdoor grill, the result will always be delicious.
Please don’t skip the coal trick because it makes a huge difference in the taste if you arent using a charcoal grill .
BEEF KOFTA SKEWERS
- 1 kg minced meat with 20-25% fats
- 2 large onions grated
- 1 cup parsley minced
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- less than 1/2 tsp baking soda
- salt & pepper
- oil for brushing
- 13-15 wooden skewers
- 3 pieces of coal فحم
- 1 tbsp oil
- onion peel
- aluminium foil
- Squeeze the grated onion between your fingers to release all the water. Put the onion water in a bowl & set aside for later.
- Mix the minced meat with all the remaining ingredients until very well mixed. The mixture will be a little sticky from the baking soda. Refrigerate in an airtight container for a couple of hours.
- Soak 13-15 skewers in water for 1/2 an hour to prevent them from burning.
- Divide the kofta mixture into 13-15 balls. Damp your hands with the onion water & shape the kofta around the skewers.
- Arrange the kofta skewers on a baking tray brushed with oil & brush the other side of the kofta skewers with more oil.
- Stove Grill: Heat a grill pan on high heat until hot then reduce heat to medium. Grill the kofta until cooked through inside & nicely browned on the outside.
- Oven: Preheat oven to 200 C then bake the Kofta for 25-30 until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place 3 pieces of coal directly on the stove flame until red hot. Arrange the cooked kofta skewers on a wire rack or baking tray. Place the tray in a turned off COOL oven. Put the hot coal on a piece of onion peel wrapped in a piece of foil. Place it on the shelf underneath the kofta skewers in the oven. Pour 1 tbsp oil on the coal & close the oven immediately. Keep the oven closed for 3 minutes then open the door slightly & keep the kofta skewers inside for another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Using minced meat with 20-25% fat content is crucial to make the kofta juicy.
- You HAVE to soak the skewers in water for about 30 minutes before using to prevent them from burning.
- Instead of the oven & stove, you can grill the kofta skewers on a charcoal grill.
- For the step by step video, check my instagram account.