Let’s agree that I don’t always like the “lighter” option of fatty/fried food. For me, eggplants will always be fried not grilled nor roasted & the same goes with escalope. But when the ligher option is as delicious as the original, I fall in love with it madly because who doesn’t want to enjoy food at a lower calorie count?
One of my favorite Pasta Sauces ever is this Pink Sauce & finding out that I can make it slightly ligher without the use of any cream made me dance out of joy.
It’s super easy, quick, delicious & with less calories; what’s there not to love?
PASTA WITH LIGHT PINK SAUCE
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion shredded
- 1 sprig green onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cans chopped tomato in juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2-3 tbsp light or full fat labneh
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated
- 1 tbsp pesto sauce (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add the olive oil & cook the veggies for a couple of minutes until they start to soften & wilt but not brown.
- Add the tomato cans, water & sugar. Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce heat to low & simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes or until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Stir in the labneh, parmesan & pesto sauce (if using). Season with salt & pepper.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce right before serving. Serve with extra freshyly grated black pepper & parmesan on top.
- If you want the sauce less chunky, after turning off the heat, crush all the tomato chunks in the sauce using a potato masher.
- Instead of Labneh, you can use light cream cheese if you want but I prefer the tangy taste of labneh.
- For the step by step Arabic video, check my instagram account.